Wednesday 22 August 2007

V festival

Mr Hudson & the Library
I spent last weekend at V festival with Chris and Denise (and Anthony for a few fleeting moments). I'm still pretty knackered from camping so I'll keep it short. ish.

Foo Fighters - fantastic, always are. Odd that they started the set with Everlong though, I don't think the set was quite as good as this one at the Isle of Wight last year. But then again the hair was much much better. Swings and roundabouts.
Just Jack - I wasn't expecting to particularly like or dislike, but actually he was great. A brilliant opener, he got everyone dancing around and up for a party. Until The Proclaimers came on and completely deflated everyone again that is. Ugh.
Juliette and The Licks - otherwise known as That Band What Juliette Lewis The Actress Is In, were really really good. Very un-celeb-ey you can definately see why she made the jump and did it properly (unlike the cringey bands that Bruce Willis/Keanu Reeves/many more dabble in). She is very thin. Not normal thin - LA thin. With white latex trousers and a red sequined feathered-mohican headdress, she looked sort of Vegas-Military I suppose. Very striking and extremely bendy.
Newton Faulkner - lovely, a bit shy and fantastically talented. He's only had 1 single but I think he's going to be really popular. His cover of Massive Attack's Teardrop was a predictable crowd-pleaser but nontheless, somewhat breathtaking with his guitar-clunking skills.
Ghosts - zzzzzzz
The Wombats - great, energetic, playful, brilliant songs. They reminded me a bit of We Are Scientists, another hugely energetic 3-piece not taking themselves too seriously. It's nice to have some personality along with good songs. Surprisingly uncommon at times.
Mr Hudson & The Library - I only knew 1 of their songs but I liked every single one they played. Unusual and definately different from the glut of 'The..' bands. I'd definately buy gig tickets for these guys. Loads of them. And bully all my friends into going (so watch it).
Jet - dissapointingly dull.
The Hoosiers - only saw their acoustic set but they were good, not sure wether the 'cheeky chappies' routine will get a bit grating but we'll see. Love their single, a great pop song.
Plan B - not usually my cup of tea, wouldn't be rushing out to buy it but I can appreciate that he's a great artist, his performance was faultless and very engaging. Angry Young Man.
Cherry Ghost - zzzzzzzz
The Cribs - wasted guitarist/singer yet entertaining. Was he sick behind his amp at the end maybe? He crouched down behind it for no apparent reason.
KT Tunstall - is much smaller than I thought she was. Little and petite. Very good also.
McFly - got a lot of people dancing who I wouldn't have expected to (including myself), especially when teamed with Al Murray.
See it here.

No comments: