Thursday 1 November 2007

Idlewild

Idlewild and their rugs
This week I got to see Idlewild play a fantastic gig for the second time. The first time was when they were touring their second album, nearly ten years ago, and it was my first gig (I think!) - it was a bit shoutier than their more recent albums but then I think I was too. I got to Wolverhampton Wulfrun with my friends in time for the doors to open at 7pm, and I think we were a bit confused by the fact they didn't come on 'til gone 9. I still have the t-shirt I bought too, although I think it might be right at the bottom of one of my wardrobes with a lot of other things I don't wear but don't want to throw away, like my V99 t-shirt and my bright purple Garfield t-shirt with 'Florida!' on it (should probably point out that that's quite a bit older...).

But anyway, back to the subject, they were fantastic, and as they're now touring their Greatest Hits (hope that's not an omen - apparently more to do with their parting ways with Parlophone before making Make Another World) they played a huge range of stuff, some which I'd forgotten I even knew, as my Captain and Hope Is Important cassettes wore out, oo, about 8 years ago and I never quite got round to replacing them (rubbish I know). And I'm pretty sure they played it better than they did last time. They do seem to have evolved into almost 2 bands now though - one that's more connected to how they started, more, well, shouty, and one that's a bit more... Virgin Radio I guess. They do both really well, but I thought they just looked like they were having far more fun jumping around shouting. And they even brought their own little carpets in order to make the jumping around (with no shoes on) a bit more cosy. Which is nice.

Official site
myspace
wiki

No comments: